GarageBand from Apple Computer, Inc is a part of iLife that is sometimes included in MacOS X or can be purchased separately (www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/).
1. Create a new project by choosing "File"->"New". MIDI Track will appear in the project automatically. 2. Create Audio Track. To do so, choose "Track"->"New Track". In the next dialog click on Details... Choose "Effect"->"No Effects", unselect "Echo" and "Reverb" and select "Audio To MIDI AU" in effect list, then press Create:
3. Open audio file you are going to transcribe with WIDI AU by dragging and dropping it to the created audio track from the Finder window.
4. Select Audio track and open it's properties with I button:
5. Open WIDI AU interface by clicking Edit the effect preset button near the effect list in Track's properties:
6. In the WIDI AU window choose the option page, turn on midi to midi out option and select IAC Driver Bus as output.
7. Press Start recording and MIDI output will be recorded to the MIDI track.
You may also need to tune Recognition Parameters to achieve the best results.
You can also record MIDI events to a MIDI file with a built-in MIDI recorder. See routing MIDI for details.
Note: In this instruction it is supposed that Apple IAC Driver is activated on your system. If it is not true, refer to routing MIDI on how to activate it.